5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the low ground clearance on the Impreza's (5.1 inches) to be confusing.

Besides the sporty BRZ and WRX, Subaru markets its vehicles as family transportation that have the safety of AWD. This means being able to deal with bad weather, particularly with the winter snows.

The advantage of the Subaru, over it's rivals, is that they can deal with harsh weather conditions ... or so that is their marketing strategy.

But, the ground clearance on the Impreza is low. Lower than it's compact sedan rivals. This makes it more unsuitable for winter driving ... hitting chunks of ice and snow.

So, the Impreza's advantage of having AWD ... to feel secure during winter driving ... is lost, because the other's have greater ground clearance.

Pay extra for the Impreza's AWD? Why? Not for better winter driving. Better wet weather driving? Just buy better tires. Sportier driving? Not with the Impreza engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Low ground clearance will generally handle and ride better. Pick your poison. Granted my old Subaru had a bit more ground clearance (5.9") but I never got stuck with it here in western NY.

·
Registered
2017 Red Impreza Sport
123 Posts
Around here, the Subaru is the highest car in our parking lot. Although we don't get snow in this area, we are surrounded by mountains that do. I'm not sure why you would think the sport is too low. It has shredded the front bumper driving out of a driveway before, but that's hardly a reason, just means I need to do that tuner angled drive in.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Because it's not a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza 5DR Limited (CVT) w/ES & NAV
43 Posts
That's what the ADF lift kit is for (been there, got that). We are only at ~3600 feet, but we do get snow here...

And Yes, I know I should have bought a Crosstrek, but I bought what I could afford at the time. Also, there wasn't any snow where I was before I moved...

·
Administrator
772 Posts
I won't drive mine in the snow unless it's 2" or less. I use my Tahoe for anything more than that.

Crosstreks are amazing in the snow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I kind of agree with what you're saying. My 17 Forester was great in the snow but I hated the way it handled on pavement and it didn't feel planted on the highway. I felt the same about the Crosstrek. I test drove an Impreza 5 door Premium and had to have it, the handling was soo much better. The AWD will be a big benefit in the winter even if the car is lower. A crosstech handles like crap in comparison to a regular Impreza.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am with you, Cerebus40 & st1100a! I should have bought XV but I don't want to go with the US mainstream SUV crowd - and Impreza is so pretty!
And one of the reasons I chose Impreza was better gas mileage. Conceivably the low clearance is also lowering air drag.
For reference: Prius has same 5.1" clearance. Did some winter driving with a rental Prius in Jackson Hole, WY and when the fresh deep snow was soft it wasn't that bad ;-)
Someone mentioned that Focus has even lower clearance: I have that one too but the front isn't that low and long. With Impreza I am hitting every other driveway - unless I go slowly and at angle. Never happened with Focus.
The bottom line - I will be adding lift. Maybe just an inch - that may make the difference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My '17 Impreza scrapes (in different places) on some abrupt slope changes and on some speed bumps (going slowly); my '09 Prius does not on any of them! This has been my biggest issue with this car (mostly because I don't use the infotainment system, other than to turn off the radio every time I turn on the car). Try looking under the vehicle - it is almost impossible without a lift.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I added the ADF 1.5" lift to my Impreza and am glad I did. It's just as fun to drive as before and the extra clearance has stopped the scraping. I have a slightly improved view of traffic from sitting higher, which I didn't expect to be noticeable from this lift. The car looks a bit like a rally car now which is fine with me. I may add a primitive racing front skid plate at some point.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I added the ADF 1.5" lift to my Impreza and am glad I did. It's just as fun to drive as before and the extra clearance has stopped the scraping. I have a slightly improved view of traffic from sitting higher, which I didn't expect to be noticeable from this lift. The car looks a bit like a rally car now which is fine with me. I may add a primitive racing front skid plate at some point.
Did you get an alignment done after the lift kit? I was thinking of getting a taller tire or doing the 1 inch lift.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, I had the alignment done too. The dealership charged $800 labor for kit installation and alignment.

The good thing about the 1.5" lift kit vs. 1" spacers is that there are brackets to relocate the brake line hoses too so they don't get overstretched.

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts