5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Impreza 5DR Limited (CVT) w/ES & NAV
43 Posts
A few points:

1) For the winter I have Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted on 17" steel wheels (stock sizes).

2) I did get a four wheel alignment after the lift kit was installed.

3) The exhaust piping was altered after the lift as it pushed the exhaust too close to the axle (~1/4 inch clearance!) - total cost for installation and alignment was $510

4) Measurements before lift - 26" front and rear from wheel well to ground. Measurements after lift - 28" front, 29" rear - so it went up 2" in the front and 3" in the rear - odd...

·
Registered
813 Posts
It was worth having them do it because it's not a 1 person job. The dealership said they've installed the same kit on several Crosstreks recently and that they think it's a pretty nice kit. There are some lift kits they wouldn't install. I price checked another dealership and they wanted 2x the price, so I was OK with the cost. It was nice they took 10% off too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would like to chime in and say that I find no problems with my 2017 Sport in the snow. I live in Michigan, and I take it out 50% of the time I drive and the other 50% my older Impreza 2.5i. So far the sport has handled well in the snow on stock wheels and tires. When it snows 6-7 inches I found I still had no problem at all. Im not talking about powder, I’m talking about wet Michigan snow. I’ve scraped the front bumper once or twice while I was in Georgia due to how hilly it is down there. But It does everything fine. I dont see why theres complaints about it. Its just 0.5 inches lower than a stock 2007 2.5i.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Around here, the Subaru is the highest car in our parking lot. Although we don't get snow in this area, we are surrounded by mountains that do. I'm not sure why you would think the sport is too low. It has shredded the front bumper driving out of a driveway before, but that's hardly a reason, just means I need to do that tuner angled drive in.
Haha I've done the same thing!

I dont find the Impreza terribly low, although it is the lowest car I've ever driven stock. But then again, this is my third car I've ever owned.

I find the ride high to be tasteful for my 2018 sport, because it looks good, and you dont necessarily need height clearance to survive a winter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Impreza 5DR Limited (CVT) w/ES & NAV
43 Posts
I believe that the issue with the Impreza isn't the ride height so much as the suspension. There is far too little compression dampening which allows the car to bottom out way too easily. I couldn't afford new struts, so raising the car was the best option for now. Eventually I'll change out the suspension with something more compliant...

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I thought my 2003 Protege5 Sport wagon had the lowest clearance (5.5) but the Sport is lower. Oh well, .4" difference isn't bad with snows and AWD.

I live in Syracuse NY. average snow fall is over ten feet a year, the amount of times I have driven the back roads I have to drive to get to work UN PLOWED is very, very low. Compared to my Forester the Impreza feels more "planted" on the road and driving in slick conditions. Would I want the Fozzie if I were going off road or driving through deep snow? Yea it might be better in that situation. But for every day snow driving conditions I would rather be in the Imp. Driving in the snow is the exact reason why I would not put a hard front lip on my car.

I know a bunch of people who drive all winter in their WRXs (4.9" ground clearance) without snows.

·
Registered
2017 Red Impreza Sport
123 Posts
I believe that the issue with the Impreza isn't the ride height so much as the suspension. There is far too little compression dampening which allows the car to bottom out way too easily. I couldn't afford new struts, so raising the car was the best option for now. Eventually I'll change out the suspension with something more compliant...

I agree and every so often I show up in your neck of the woods. If you don't look where the dips are, you'll bottom out. Around here, we have 70-80 year old driveways and it's easy to bottom out or go off a curb. San Jose isn't the best-built city.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pay extra for the Impreza's AWD? Why? Not for better winter driving.
Are you kidding?

The Impreza may have "low" ground clearance but it's not that low! I wouldn't spend time with it in the backcountry driving through 10' drifts but for using it in civilization 98% of the time the Impreza is amazing in the snow and doesn't need any more clearance. (there are other Subaru's that offer more clearance) Living in Wisconsin my Impreza has seen plenty of snow and compared to my previous Mazda3 the Impreza is practically a snow mobile.

·
Registered
124 Posts
my Impreza sport has heaps of ground clearance compared to my wrx! I have learned to spot potholes and rough obstacles and kind of drive slow because of it anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea I'll be honest I have no issue with the height. I live in lower NY and have had no problems with deep snow and stock tires. On dry pavement lower center of gravity keeps the car tight. I have a 17 Sport 5 door.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So much introduced as fact that's wrong with the original post.

The advantage of AWD in wet weather can be made up with good tires? No.

You need high ground clearance to have high confidence in the snow with a car? No.

5.1" of clearance isn't enough for winter driving? Really? Do you think that you cannot drive through 8" of snow with a car with 5.1" of ground clearance? Do you actually think a two week drive car with 7" of ground clearance would do better in snow of say, 8", vs an AWD car with 1.9" less clearance?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I provided the lift kit. They asked which kit I was going to have them install and the agreed the ADF kit was nice. Some kits they wouldn't be willing to install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I provided the lift kit. They asked which kit I was going to have them install and the agreed the ADF kit was nice. Some kits they wouldn't be willing to install.pp
I provided the lift kit. They asked which kit I was going to have them install and the agreed the ADF kit was nice. Some kits they wouldn't be willing to install.
That is good to know. I bought a 2020 Impreza, like the car, even test driven it, but somehow, it slip my mind to check for ground clearance prior to buying it. Anyway, I like the additional lift of 1.5” as this might help me to work where there is one way into the facility and one way out. Water table at and around that area is high and it usually floods when it rains moderately. But when it rains a lot, the area gets about 8” of flood water and I am concern 5.1” stock ground clearance might be an issue. Looking to see if Subaru dealers around NJ will install a lift kit, by raising it to 6.6” ground clearance might work. (Used to drive my TSX with clearance 6.1” with no problem at all for 15 years. Hence lifting should work) Will check around and see if local Subaru dealer will lift it for me. Not planning at this time to diy or by private shop to lift it. Because I am concern that might void my warranty on this car that I just got for a month old.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts