5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual transmission. I noticed that the car doesnt roll back when on a hill. I guess that is a feature on newer cars. (I actually like it rolling back) when I put it i to first and go the car actually hesitates and doesnt move right away. Within 3 to 5 seconds a sudden jolt kicks in and send me on my way. It feels as if I was a person learning stick for the first time and jolting out like I use to. Is this normal?

·
Registered
858 Posts
That's the hill start assist. I don't like it either. The manual has instructions on how to disable it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The automatic (CVT) has this too. The first time I experienced it was strange, I know the feeling.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It almost fields like there is an electric brake holding the car, not a transmission lockup.
As soon as you touch the accelerator, the brake feels like it is releasing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was expecting the car to roll back the first time I tried it. It also works when in "R" backing up a hill I believe or correct me wrong.
Yes, tested both in reverse and drive, there is a 3 second anti roll back or forward feature. After 3 seconds the brakes disengage and you can roll back, or forward depending if your up or down a hill.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, tested both in reverse and drive, there is a 3 second anti roll back or forward feature. After 3 seconds the brakes disengage and you can roll back, or forward depending if your up or down a hill.
I have noticed when in drive on a hill, stopped, no brakes applied, the car doesn't move until I press the gas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have noticed when in drive on a hill, stopped, no brakes applied, the car doesn't move until I press the gas.
I ran my test in reverse up a hill. Reverse up a hill take foot off the gas car stands still for 3 seconds then starts rolling forward while still in Reverse Gear or until you step on the gas.

·
Banned
115 Posts
The outback and legacy both have a hill hold button on the center console, engineers must have figured it was easier and cheaper to just program it into the software with all the sensors on the car than to add a button!

·
Registered
142 Posts
its a helpful feature in some situations. i had it off for a few months but the it began to bug me that the indicator light was always on. sometimes i feel like im taking too long to get the car moving when i am the first car at a light, i'm getting used to it. i drove in San Francisco a couple weeks ago, it definitely was useful.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I remember the first time I drove my friend's 2004 Forester XT after dropping him off at the airport. I was not expecting hill holder to kick in, didn't know it even had it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Make the "time to hold" configurable

Sounds like I am the only one who likes it? :)
It should have been implemented as a configurable "time to hold", from 0 to 3 seconds.

I would have picked "0" for me; but could live with "1". "3" is absurd.

Reactions: eugene

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
Funny, I keep reading complaints about features that I have had in my BMW since 2011.

Hill Assist... Have it in my BMW and Impreza and love it. You should be able to quickly adapt to the short delay that keeps you from rolling back into the vehicle behind you.

Homelink... Have it in my BMW and Impreza and love it. Yes, the garage door opener/closer only works when the car is running. How is this a hardship? No more garage door opener with dead batteries or lost.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I remember learning to drive, my father and I are in his AUDI me driving.

We stop on a HUGE very STEEP hill at a light and I am getting nervous. My dad says, relax and make sure to give it enough gas.

Light turns green, I pop the clutch and stomp on the gas, smoke the tires for about twenty feet and take off.

My dad "well, that is one way to do it".

·
Registered
142 Posts
I remember learning to drive, my father and I are in his AUDI me driving.

We stop on a HUGE very STEEP hill at a light and I am getting nervous. My dad says, relax and make sure to give it enough gas.

Light turns green, I pop the clutch and stomp on the gas, smoke the tires for about twenty feet and take off.

My dad "well, that is one way to do it".
Lol I never had real teaching of stick. I had co workers tell me what to do without actually being in the car. I've always wanted a daily driver in a Standard so I did that with my Impreza. I'll be honest I stalled in the test drive and had no shame . It was easy after a day. And now 18k miles on her in 8 months and I can say I've had enough practice haha.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: C J
1 - 20 of 22 Posts