5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an absolute base model 2017 hatch. Base suspension, even running steelies with plastic hub caps. found someone selling some decent rims that come with tires, but im worried about any size issues, i dont want to be hitting my tires going over bumps. So my question is will the tires that are 245/45-18s, pose any issues?

Thanks

-Richard

·
Registered
114 Posts
I doubt this tire size will work for you. I don't know the offset or width of the wheels you are looking to buy, but I'm going to guess they are 8.5" wide with a 40mm offset. With that tire size, you are looking at a 7.2% increase in overall diameter compared to stock ( 26.7" vs 24.9"). The tire is going to be about 1 3/8" farther out which may hit the fender when going over bumps. The front tires might even hit your fender well liners when turning. The sidewalls are going to be almost as tall as your stock tires, which is going to look very out of place on the car.

You should be running a 245/35/18 to maintain the O.D, but even then there could be some rubbing issues with the width, but that is dependant on the offset. I believe there are people successfully running 8.5 wide or even 9.0

Here is my car that is running 235/40/18's. The wheel is a 18x8 with a 45mm offset. Stock height and the tire is pretty much flush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please do not put used tires on your car. Unequal tread wear will destroy your diff. Seriously, not kidding, look it up.
the more you know star

But also post some more info about the wheels you want to get. Its totally possible to run 245's, as long as everything else lines up. There is at least one person on this board i remember seeing running them in a wheel thread.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Please do not put used tires on your car. Unequal tread wear will destroy your diff. Seriously, not kidding, look it up.
the more you know star

But also post some more info about the wheels you want to get. Its totally possible to run 245's, as long as everything else lines up. There is at least one person on this board i remember seeing running them in a wheel thread.

Very good point that I neglected to bring up. The tread wear would need to be equal across all four tires. Yes, there is some wiggle room, but not a lot. 1.5mm difference max if I remember correctly.

I recently bought a set of used winter tires that were too far out of spec for me to use and I had to re-sell them.

·
Administrator
1,810 Posts
We have a Wheel and Tire section and some threads that might be able to help you out. Take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, ive decided not to go with them afterall. The tires had less than 300 miles on them and the wheels where nice too. but they are to big afterall. i was just hoping i had found something close by at a good deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, ive decided not to go with them afterall. The tires had less than 300 miles on them and the wheels where nice too. but they are to big afterall. i was just hoping i had found something close by at a good deal.

For your future reference I'm rocking 245/40 R18 tires on an 18x8.5 +45 wheel lowered with BC BR Coilovers. Absolutely NO rub.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Looks excellent!

But sure looks like it would rub at some point in the articulation. Oh well, so much for my guessing.

One question though... did your mileage take a hit? And how much, cause it had to?

·
Registered
72 Posts
the more you know star

It's a hit or miss when calculating it based off mm of tread wear. The ideal way to measure is the circumference of the wheel and staying within a 1/4" of one another.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I doubt this tire size will work for you. I don't know the offset or width of the wheels you are looking to buy, but I'm going to guess they are 8.5" wide with a 40mm offset. With that tire size, you are looking at a 7.2% increase in overall diameter compared to stock ( 26.7" vs 24.9"). The tire is going to be about 1 3/8" farther out which may hit the fender when going over bumps. The front tires might even hit your fender well liners when turning. The sidewalls are going to be almost as tall as your stock tires, which is going to look very out of place on the car.

You should be running a 245/35/18 to maintain the O.D, but even then there could be some rubbing issues with the width, but that is dependant on the offset. I believe there are people successfully running 8.5 wide or even 9.0
View attachment 22235

Here is my car that is running 235/40/18's. The wheel is a 18x8 with a 45mm offset. Stock height and the tire is pretty much flush.

View attachment 22236
View attachment 22252 View attachment 22253

For your future reference I'm rocking 245/40 R18 tires on an 18x8.5 +45 wheel lowered with BC BR Coilovers. Absolutely NO rub.
It’s almost time for me to get some new tires and it’s really tempting to get a new set of wheels and tires for my base model. I’ve been hoping that a set of 235/45R18 on 18x8.5 +45 wheels would fit on our vehicles but looking at this thread I’m kinda disappointed that I won’t be able to and I’ll have to settle for 235/40R18 tires. I guess my only concern is that I won’t have enough sidewall for the pothole ridden streets where I live, but the more I look into it the more I realize that I’m just stuck on trying to get as close to a WRC tarmac rally tire size as possible hahaha

·
Registered
114 Posts
It’s almost time for me to get some new tires and it’s really tempting to get a new set of wheels and tires for my base model. I’ve been hoping that a set of 235/45R18 on 18x8.5 +45 wheels would fit on our vehicles but looking at this thread I’m kinda disappointed that I won’t be able to and I’ll have to settle for 235/40R18 tires. I guess my only concern is that I won’t have enough sidewall for the pothole ridden streets where I live, but the more I look into it the more I realize that I’m just stuck on trying to get as close to a WRC tarmac rally tire size as possible hahaha
I went with 235/40/18's on my setup because I also wanted a little more sidewall. That size is only 1.2% larger OD than the Sport wheel/tire and my speed is almost dead on based on my GPS. I hate to suggest 17" wheels, but if you have a lot of pot holes to deal with, it might be something to consider.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a New Englander, and having the Sport model with 225/40R18, they are AWFUL when it comes to the winter roads. I've had one gnarly bend that was noticeable in one wheel, and three minor bends in the others. All have since been replaced. My prefer setup is a 17x8" wheel in the winter with 235/45 tires. Steering may seem a bit "floaty", but it's a much smoother driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a New Englander, and having the Sport model with 225/40R18, they are AWFUL when it comes to the winter roads. I've had one gnarly bend that was noticeable in one wheel, and three minor bends in the others. All have since been replaced. My prefer setup is a 17x8" wheel in the winter with 235/45 tires. Steering may seem a bit "floaty", but it's a much smoother driver.
I went with 235/40/18's on my setup because I also wanted a little more sidewall. That size is only 1.2% larger OD than the Sport wheel/tire and my speed is almost dead on based on my GPS. I hate to suggest 17" wheels, but if you have a lot of pot holes to deal with, it might be something to consider.
Thankfully I don’t have to worry about snow and it hardly rains where I’m at too. I’ve been thinking about getting 17’s too which is what I’ll probably end up doing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went with 205/55R16's for my winter tires (already had a used set of old Subaru aluminum wheels). This makes my car the first one I've owned where the car actually rides smoother with the winter tires on! Year, steering response is a bit vague, but I'd rather have the protection from unseen potholes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts