5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an absolute base model 2017 hatch. Base suspension, even running steelies with plastic hub caps. found someone selling some decent rims that come with tires, but im worried about any size issues, i dont want to be hitting my tires going over bumps. So my question is will the tires that are 245/45-18s, pose any issues?

Thanks

-Richard

·
Registered
67 Posts
I doubt this tire size will work for you. I don't know the offset or width of the wheels you are looking to buy, but I'm going to guess they are 8.5" wide with a 40mm offset. With that tire size, you are looking at a 7.2% increase in overall diameter compared to stock ( 26.7" vs 24.9"). The tire is going to be about 1 3/8" farther out which may hit the fender when going over bumps. The front tires might even hit your fender well liners when turning. The sidewalls are going to be almost as tall as your stock tires, which is going to look very out of place on the car.

You should be running a 245/35/18 to maintain the O.D, but even then there could be some rubbing issues with the width, but that is dependant on the offset. I believe there are people successfully running 8.5 wide or even 9.0

Here is my car that is running 235/40/18's. The wheel is a 18x8 with a 45mm offset. Stock height and the tire is pretty much flush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please do not put used tires on your car. Unequal tread wear will destroy your diff. Seriously, not kidding, look it up.
the more you know star

But also post some more info about the wheels you want to get. Its totally possible to run 245's, as long as everything else lines up. There is at least one person on this board i remember seeing running them in a wheel thread.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Please do not put used tires on your car. Unequal tread wear will destroy your diff. Seriously, not kidding, look it up.
the more you know star

But also post some more info about the wheels you want to get. Its totally possible to run 245's, as long as everything else lines up. There is at least one person on this board i remember seeing running them in a wheel thread.

Very good point that I neglected to bring up. The tread wear would need to be equal across all four tires. Yes, there is some wiggle room, but not a lot. 1.5mm difference max if I remember correctly.

I recently bought a set of used winter tires that were too far out of spec for me to use and I had to re-sell them.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
We have a Wheel and Tire section and some threads that might be able to help you out. Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts