5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my sport sedan windows tinted today, 15% except windshield. The tint looks great and I will add a sunny day pic here tomorrow I hope.

However - the window tint shop got water on my speakers, the front driver's side door speaker sounds terrible now. And I had just done the Rockford Fosgate audio upgrade kit, so the front door speakers are only 3 weeks old and have been sounding great. I left the shop and about 20 minutes later noticed water on the door panel and speaker area and shined a light in there and there were still water droplets on the speaker cone area. I then checked the speakers by isolating them and playing some music and the driver's side speaker does not sound like it is powered by the amp anymore or something. It still has audio, just sounds not nearly as good as the passenger speaker. Does this make sense this would happen if the speaker got wet? Time for new speakers or will a wet speaker recover?

I called the shop and told them and they say this has never really happened to them, though he mentioned once it happened on a Toyota but the audio came back fine within a day or so. They said for application they do not remove the door panels at all, and they just use spray bottles with water mixed with some baby shampoo.

Later when I got home, 7 hours after having the tint applied I opened my trunk to find standing little puddles in some spots on the trunk cargo cover and some of my stuff in the trunk was wet (no raining snow or ice around today that would end up in there, and I had put those items in there when I dropped the car off at the shop and it for sure was dry). I had the rear window tinted but why the heck is their a ton of moisture in my trunk area? I know there is a lot of spraying and wiping and all that with window tint, but for the rear window that is in the inside of the car, not something they'd be working on from the trunk. If water is poured on the plastic tray area behind the rear seat does that drain into the trunk? Anyone familiar with window tinting - does it take a ton of spraying and wiping to do a good job? No that this really matters but has me wondering how the process works.

·
Administrator
778 Posts
I've had numerous windows tinted on previous and current vehicles. I used three different places and not once was there any liquid left behind. However I've definitely had residue left behind from their spray, which can be easily cleaned.

Have you used this tint company before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the first car I have ever tinted. I read reviews of a bunch of places this one was supposed to be great. The tint looks good so far, still some bubble spots on back window but everyone says that's normal for the first few days.

I read up on similar experiences with water in trunk after a tint install - many vehicles the rear pillar (c-pillar?) from the interior of the car area will leak water that gets on the rear deck / rear window down into the trunk. This has to be the case for the Impreza sedan. At least it didn't just soak up somewhere. well actually, it did, it must have on the rear deck area. My car still smells like baby shampoo.

For the front speaker, I think he had to spray the small non movable front window a ton and that water on the door panel leaks down onto the speaker (through the grill), and water on the window might somehow lead to speaker area from up front there on the door, idk, but that area of the door was what was visibly still wet when I got it too. Speaker still sounds markedly worse than the passenger speaker. I will show the tint shop in a few days if it still does not recover. Also waiting on my rear window bubbles to smooth out over the 7-10 days.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
96 Posts
Any other Impreza owners had this?
The Impreza was the 6th vehicle in the family that's been tinted and we never had the water issue.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
951 Posts
I've have a number of Subarus tinted never an issue with excess water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I install my own tint. And were yes, excess spray gives you more time to play with while installing, but any decent tint place would clean up after themselves. Also the spray is typically tap water and baby shampoo/soap. There a few groups out there that use "proprietary" solutions, but it's just fancy soapy water. So the spray isn't caustic or generally anything bad other than just being water that do bad things to electronics. If after a week of drying out (which that time has passed by now) if you are still experiencing the electrical/sound issues, it's time to hold them to the fire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts