5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock original wipers lasted 10 months. The driver side began to smear on its decent in front of my field of view (center of wiper where arm connects). There was no getting around it. Rain-x on the glass, I still needed new ones.

I ran around to multiple auto parts stores, trying every kind of Beam universal kit and nothing would fit the special keyed push button arm.
I couldn't believe that I actually had to run to the dealer to buy a mandatory Safety Item. Like really? I'm a big fan of silicone wipers, if I could find them. But I think it's going to take time for the after markets to catch up to this new arm design universal kits.

Or perhaps I missed something. What is everyone using?

The new dealer wipers $36 out the door for the pair. Seems to have a larger rubber stabilizer on the top and the key fit and button is slightly smaller than the original.

Old wiper on top
New wiper on bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only use BOSCH ICON blades...best in the business.
Does the Bosch fit the adapter? (That's the only ones I didn't try in my search Doh!!)

BTW, I just got off the phone with PIAA, and that it is true that Subaru has not released the patent for the new Wiper arm for any after market corporations to develop after market wipers for them. PIAA stated to look at, "Bosch" as they can get away with this because they are over seas and not susceptible to some patent laws.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Check your 3 yr/36K warranty - it covers wiper replacements in that period for free!

"Wear Item Limited Warranty. WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades."
from https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2017.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
186 Posts
So can you just pick up a new set from parts counter or do you have to go through the whole process of service advisor, tech, coffee, wait, more coffee, "sorry sir we're a little backed up but it shouldn't be too much longer", etc. resulting in a 2 hour ordeal for something that takes you 3 minutes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Warranty coverage of wiper blades must be a Subaru US benefit. Not covered in Canada.

"Performance of any normal maintenance service and replacement of any normal maintenance item includes spark plugs, drive belts, wiper
blades, hoses, lubrication and replacement of filters, coolant, fuses, worn brake and clutch disc friction material or scored brake rotors
or drums, engine performance adjustments, headlight aiming, wiper arm tension and sweep, worn blades or refills, wheel alignment, and
other items subject to normal wear and tear are not covered under warranty and are considered the owner’s responsibility."

·
Registered
404 Posts
Surprising to me that wrote wear coverage (as opposed to mfgr defects) but they did. Not just wipers but brakes and clutch!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So can you just pick up a new set from parts counter or do you have to go through the whole process of service advisor, tech, coffee, wait, more coffee, "sorry sir we're a little backed up but it shouldn't be too much longer", etc. resulting in a 2 hour ordeal for something that takes you 3 minutes?
I have generally brought up the wipers at the same time I have visited the dealer for routine maintenance - generally an oil change, so I was having an extra cup of coffee anyway :smile2:

Surprising to me that wrote wear coverage (as opposed to mfgr defects) but they did. Not just wipers but brakes and clutch!

I have tried to have brakes replaced, but have never been successful with that. My local mechanic, who I have known for years, reported the brakes were low, but when I brought it to attention of the dealer, they said they were still useable. I guess Subaru has a different threshold for when the brakes should be replaced. I've also heard that with brake pad replacement through warranty, Subaru will only do front or rear brakes at an appointment, not all 4!

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
@VladSI...no, you cannot pick up a free set at your parts counter...you must go through the service department and have them perform the install.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check your 3 yr/36K warranty - it covers wiper replacements in that period for free!

"Wear Item Limited Warranty. WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades."
from https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2017.html
thanks to ILuvMySubaru2 for pointing this out.. I was unaware of this. It's not in the diagram on pg 3 of the warranty book! But it is described on pg 4.

Maybe that's why there are no aftermarket replacements yet... manufacturers figure people won't need them yet?????

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@VladSI...no, you cannot pick up a free set at your parts counter...you must go through the service department and have them perform the install.
That is just ridiculous, to make an appointment for wiper blades. So I guess to save 35 bucks that's what needs to be done.

thanks to ILuvMySubaru2 for pointing this out.. I was unaware of this. It's not in the diagram on pg 3 of the warranty book! But it is described on pg 4.

Maybe that's why there are no aftermarket replacements yet... manufacturers figure people won't need them yet?????
Subaru has not released the patent info for aftermarket companies to make. Probably this is why, so Subaru can have control.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do they sell wiper inserts on their own? For my Odyssey I've always just bought the rubber inserts, front & rear, for a fraction of buying the whole thing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Something else I noticed, some Imprezas have an extra windshield wiper nozzle.

Mine is a '17 Sport-Tech, no EyeSight, with wiper de-icers. I snapped a pic of an '18 Island Blue Pearl Sport-Tech w/EyeSight at the dealership while I was getting an oil change. Not sure if it's a model year difference or something to do with the EyeSight models?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts