5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading that my car ('18 Sport 5dr) has not only side mirror defrosters but also windshield wiper deicers. I examined the wiper blades and arms and don't see any electronics or wiring or anything that would make them heat up... what's the deal? How do the wiper deicers work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look closely at the windshield under where the wipers normally sit and you will see a heater element like the rear window defroster. Its job is to warm the windshield under the blades if they are iced in place.
Do all models have this? I recently got my car back from the body shop after hitting a deer and I’m pretty sure mine had this for the windshield wipers. Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you have the package with heated seats and mirrors, then yes, you do. I had the misfortune to have a stone crack my windshield 2 weeks after I got my new 19 Sport Wagon, so I had the chance to inspect the replacement windshield before they put it in. Yes, it does have an element, hidden down at the base, with the dark overlay that they also have at the top covering it. BTW, that windshield cost $495 to replace!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
477 Posts
When they first started putting the heated elements at the bottom of the windshield, were the wipers park, they didn't hide the elements. You could see the orange grid. Later they put it behind the black coloring but left a small dot of an opening where you could see the orange grid material. I just tried to take a pic, you can sort of see the dot in this pic center off to the right a little. This is on the passenger side (LHD) bottom of the windscreen. You can see the grid below the black too. When I first heard about the heated wipers, I thought there were elements in the wiper blade arms themselves. It's only in the wiper park area though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have the package with heated seats and mirrors, then yes, you do. I had the misfortune to have a stone crack my windshield 2 weeks after I got my new 19 Sport Wagon, so I had the chance to inspect the replacement windshield before they put it in. Yes, it does have an element, hidden down at the base, with the dark overlay that they also have at the top covering it. BTW, that windshield cost $495 to replace!
Did you pay 495.00 for a basic windshield or was it one of the special ones that has to be calibrated with eyesight?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
477 Posts
FWIW it cost the same to replace the windshield in my BRZ, which didn't have the heated elements, and the one in my Legacy which does have the elements. Not happy since my insurance deductible is 500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts