5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Subaru Impreza wouldn’t start this morning. See attached photo and video link.
Video on YouTube

The dashboard works so does the radio. I don’t think it’s a battery issue. Is it the alternator?

My father drove about 120 miles yesterday and parked the car in the garage. It’s a stock 2017 Limited (CVT).
Speedometer Tachometer Odometer Trip computer Gauge

·
Registered
25 Posts
(I don't want to come off as condescending at all so bare with me)

So I do think its a battery issue, it doesn't sound like the starter (which is a mechanical part that helps start the car, BUT it does need that fully 12V from the battery) is moving / starting at all. So IMO it is a battery issue, I would go ahead and try jumping it first, see if you can get it up and going, once it starts, drive around for like 15-30 and then come HOME and turn off the car and try turning it back on. If the car cannot turn back on, you're right, you have an alternator problem.

If the car doesn't start at all when you try jumping it, it may be a battery. Take the battery out, go to a local auto parts store and see if they can test it for you. If it comes back good, have them charge it and then put it back in your car and try turning it over. If you have a bad battery, get a new battery.

Lastly, if new battery doesn't work, jumping doesn't work, you may have some other problems which may just need a good visit to the mechanic. Could be an alternator, could be your starter, could be something less, but yeah overall, worry about getting the battery figured out because it sounds like your battery doesn't have enough juice in it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did. Got $15!
On another note, I think it is high time the battery weight is reduced. Considering, weight savings can improve fuel economy and car manufacturers put in a lot of effort to reduce weight, I am surprised that a car battery is so heavy. Maybe there isn’t enough monetary incentive in utilizing high energy density battery technology.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There are light weight options but they aren't cheap. You either sacrifice CCA or you spend upwards of $1k. In the end, I usually get a battery that has equivilent or higher CCA. I was getting Optima for a while but their quality went down hill and I ended up replacing them evern 2 to 3 years. My last battery for my Audi is an Interstate.

For reference, my '18 Legacy battery lasted 6 months before it got replaced under warranty. It was bad from the factory.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
703 Posts
I have that same battery. The negative terminal doesn't fit without a spacer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 2017 Impreza I purchased new on 03.14 with original battery. Car has 50k miles on it as I use my 3 wheeled Arcimoto motorcycle for all my short runs and the car for occasional longer distance driving.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Hatchback Base
27 Posts
I have the red top Optima battery for my wife's 3.6 Outback and my base Impreza. It's been about three years when I installed it on my wife's car and seems to be holding up. It's a but on the pricy side but with all the options my wife's car has I wanted something that would handle all the bells and whistles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts