5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my 2017 Impreza premium hatch with eyesight wouldn't start. The engine turned over very strongly but wouldn't start, so not the battery. I had to drive my old pickup to work that day. After work it did the same thing. Then it started on a second try but the engine stuck at over 4000 rpm and the accelerator had gone to the floor when I tried to tap it as an attempt to kick it off this super high idle or whatever it was. I turned it off then tried to start it again. Same thing, very high idle, and I tried to put it in gear but the rpm's stayed a little over 4000. I had it towed to the dealer. They kept it all day, said they couldn't pull any codes, checked the battery and it was fine. Not sure I believe them about no codes. They put 10 miles on it during the day, restarting it 8 or 10 times and driving it.
Also had issues losing all the presets on the radio before this. This is my second Subie and after reading about other electrical problems in this forum I am wondering if I made a mistake.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. My engine clearly races when started cold - I assume the ECU is running it hard and rich to get the emissions system to temp quickly - and it shifts roughly until it warms up, but other than that I haven't experienced your issue. Has it done this again after the dealer looked at it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Last week my 2017 Impreza premium hatch with eyesight wouldn't start. The engine turned over very strongly but wouldn't start, so not the battery. I had to drive my old pickup to work that day. After work it did the same thing. Then it started on a second try but the engine stuck at over 4000 rpm and the accelerator had gone to the floor when I tried to tap it as an attempt to kick it off this super high idle or whatever it was. I turned it off then tried to start it again. Same thing, very high idle, and I tried to put it in gear but the rpm's stayed a little over 4000. I had it towed to the dealer. They kept it all day, said they couldn't pull any codes, checked the battery and it was fine. Not sure I believe them about no codes. They put 10 miles on it during the day, restarting it 8 or 10 times and driving it.
Also had issues losing all the presets on the radio before this. This is my second Subie and after reading about other electrical problems in this forum I am wondering if I made a mistake.

Could be right or wrong
Sounds like drive by wire problem
Idle air control valve or
Accelerator pedal position sensor
Try googling it
Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts