5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know more about the Subaru Impreza Stock 16" alloy wheel.

I have a 2022 Subaru Impreza Premium that has come with basically similar 15 spoke wheel to below but with the slices of Pie (10 spokes) being painted gloss black and the remaining 5 larger spokes silver milled finished. I have attached a picture of the previous wheel (2017-2020? looks to come from same mold?) where it was all silver to easier show the full diameter water/grit holding trough/channel (marked in picture by red arrows pointing towards it).

I have never seen a wheel made in such a way where the front surface from a distance looks reminiscent to a hubcap separated from the rear barrel portion of the wheel with a full circumference dirt and water holding trough/channel, and would like to know if this was made in such a way due to cost constraints or if there is some sort of performance benefit why it has been made in such a way.

I can only imagine that the front portion of the wheel might be cast/forged and perhaps the back section might be extruded then the two separate portions are then joined together (leaving a channel where the two parts didn't meet up exactly flush, or to hide a weld?), but that is purely just a wild guess not based on anything factual. If something like that is the case not sure if that would make it better in anyway or just cheaper to produce?

I have not had the vehicle for a month yet, only have about 600 total miles, I have washed these wheels twice already and they currently are in need of washing again. I find them very difficult to clean and haven't found an easy way to clean the back barrel portion of the wheel yet. I am seriously considering swapping these wheels out with an earlier Generation (2012-2016) "All Silver" more open 10 spoke wheel design (without the full circumference channel between the face and the barrel, see picture below)

Both Wheels have 5-100mm bolt pattern the newer 15 spoke black pie trench wheel (28111FL22A) has a 55mm offset where the previous all Silver 10 spoke Cathedral Shaped Openings wheel (28111FJ010) has a 48 mm offset. From what I have seen online the previous wheel will sit outward only 7mm (.275”), from the general feedback I am hearing back is that won't make any noticeable difference in handling, steering feedback, acoustics, or clearance concerns (have heard manufacturers allow more clearance than that for use of tire chains, etc.). Besides Subaru is running 18 X 7.5" wide on the Sport and 17 X 7" wide on the Limited vs running 16 X 6.5" Wide on the Premium so I somewhat doubt moving the same 6.5" width tire .275" outward would have much of a difference as it would still not be sticking out as far as the other two model (Sport & Limited) wheels?

I would like to know what anyone might know. I had contacted Subaru months ago inquiring and never heard anything back about if they knew anything about the design/potential benefits of the current wheel design?

2811FL00A/ 28111FL22A wheel (2017-2022):

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

28111FJ010, also goes by 68796 wheel (2012-2016):
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Automotive design

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know what supplier manufactures the current wheels for Subaru?

Maybe if I reach out to them I could find out more information about the (very unique; full circumference trench) design and why they are made the way they are and if that is simply a result of the manufacturing process, cost savings, or if it was intentionally made in such a way for some benefit?

I have been looking at several wheels from OEM as well as aftermarket and have never seen any other wheels that utilize this full circumference trench behind the face.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts