5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Subaru family and have been very happy with their automobiles. I am also a Subaru Ambassador. Getting ready to trade in my Son's 2013 Impreza Limited 5-door for a 2017 Limited 5-door loaded with every option available. Before I take the plunge, I am very interested to hear if you'd buy your car again. I have read through several threads of "Hates and Likes" and info regarding recalls, etc. but nothing was glaring like don't do it. With this model year being a full redesign, I have always ben a bit leary of buying a first model year car.

This car needs to last my Son for the next 10 years and I am helping him buy it because I want him driving a car with Eye Sight and all of the other fantastic safety features Subaru has to offer to ensure his long-term safety as that of my Wife's 2017 Forester XT Touring that just turned a year old and has been flawless.

Thank you all, in advance, for your time to rely and I look forward to your thoughts and recommendations.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Definitely. I'm very pleased with my base model.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I have the 5 door sport and yes I would buy it again.

Would I buy it with all of the electronic doo dads that you are planning on getting? Nope. Just more stuff that will break.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...doo dads are my life...electrical engineer...gotta have all the goodies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the 17 Impreza sport for my wife. This is our first Subaru. Already starting to research the hatch coming back to the WRX line for MY20 to buy for me. So yes would buy again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome, securityguy. I'm actually missing my '06 Forester, so yes second thoughts. It was well built (ok, but rusting when I turned it in), with minimal electronics (not even TPMS to cause trouble, I still check my own tires) and a rock solid 4EAT. This car has a lot more plastic and electronics, and a lot less clearance. Still getting the CVT broken in (never had to do that on my Prius) and working on getting the sticker mpg. Guess I'm sounding old fashioned 'cause I am! I really prefer to turn on my own lights and turn off my own radio (which may be part of the reason a lot of folks seem to be reporting dead batteries on these cars). But that's not for everyone, I guess.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bought the 5 door sport for my wife and would do it again. We got the CVT and it is the first auto she has driven. I think she is enjoying not shifting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buy again? Sure would.
We're only at 4500 miles on our first Subaru but it does what its supposed to do and does it well.
We've had no problems. We really have no complaints, I would prefer being able to turn the radio off and count on it staying off until I'm ready for it to come back on and being able to program the doors to autolock as my other cars have been doing for the last decade or so but those are design choices by the Subaru engineers/marketeers. They're not deal-breakers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I only had mine 5 months and as of now NO. I really never buy the same car again I like to change around

I think my dealer has serious issues perhaps if I had a better dealer. We had to fix the issues on our own the dealer could not do or did inadequate.

Car is fundamentally sound and well engineered.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My car seems to be ok, but like SoCal1355 I probably wouldn't buy the same car again, there are
some other cars I have never owned, I will try if I decide to let the Impreza go.

Clifton

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Yes I would buy it again. 3 months and 1700 miles of ownership. This was my first Subaru (2nd in the household) and won't be the last. I didn't get Eyesight though so I can't speak about that. I was hesitant at first with all the reported issues, but all seems to be working normally on a regular basis. Occasionally a quirk will come up, but as long as the car runs and I feel safe I can deal with minor stuff like that. I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK...bit the bullet and will be picking up a 2017 5-door fully loaded Gray Metallic Limited with ES and NAV in black leather plus several other goodies like body side molding and mud guards. Got a stellar deal and 0% for 63 months. MSRP is $30,284. Purchase price is $26,096 plus tax, title and tags. Worked my deal to just over $1600 below factory invoice...same as my Forester XT that I bought last August. My Son is super excited as this is for him. Can't wait to see him drive it home!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Got a fabulous deal there - didn't expect you would settle for anything less, @securityguy ! I hope your son likes his new ride!

Reactions: securityguy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys...have to admit I am getting nervous about formally picking up my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited 5-door next week. Reading this forum diligently and I am very concerned and rethinking my purchase. For those that know me from other Subs forums, I am a diehard Subaru guy and an Ambassador to boot. I am reading about rough CVT issues, extreme oil consumption issues with very low mileage, numerous recalls, headunit and camera problems, screen lockups and the list goes on.

Am I overly concerned and making a mountain out of a mole hill? I thought the oil issue was resolved back in 2014? Concerned about the electronics and CVT issues I am reading about. My Son's 2013 Impreza has been flawless with no oil burning. Has a whopping 20K miles on her and three years left on the extended Suby Gold Plus plan too. Am I over-reacting to what I am reading? I fully get that those on this forum are a very small cross section of total owners but I am also reading posts outside of these forums where folks are experiencing similar issues that lead me to believe this is a far bigger issue.

Someone please help to stop me from walking off the ledge!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's your money. You will have to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^so you're not experiencing any of the above issues? I know you have a MT and not a CVT. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Guys...have to admit I am getting nervous about formally picking up my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited 5-door next week. Reading this forum diligently and I am very concerned and rethinking my purchase. For those that know me from other Subs forums, I am a diehard Subaru guy and an Ambassador to boot. I am reading about rough CVT issues, extreme oil consumption issues with very low mileage, numerous recalls, headunit and camera problems, screen lockups and the list goes on.

Am I overly concerned and making a mountain out of a mole hill? I thought the oil issue was resolved back in 2014? Concerned about the electronics and CVT issues I am reading about. My Son's 2013 Impreza has been flawless with no oil burning. Has a whopping 20K miles on her and three years left on the extended Suby Gold Plus plan too. Am I over-reacting to what I am reading? I fully get that those on this forum are a very small cross section of total owners but I am also reading posts outside of these forums where folks are experiencing similar issues that lead me to believe this is a far bigger issue.

I have lots of issues but say my wife would never notice them. I'm a engineer by edumecations.
People dont post how good a car is on the internet only the bad things. Read about any car model and you will see the same everywhere

Buy with confidence :)

·
Administrator
785 Posts

I was in a similar position as you. Very hesitant to buy because of the issues I read about. After months of debating I decided to take the risk and couldn't be happier. Has it been smooth? No. I've had my radio replaced already (less than 3 weeks into ownership). There's still some quirks that may or may not go away (mostly electronic related). However with all of that it's still a great car and a great brand.

·
Registered
858 Posts
^^^so you're not experiencing any of the above issues? I know you have a MT and not a CVT. Thanks
It lost my radio presets once, after 2 months of ownership. Otherwise mine has been good. I'm not blaming the screw I picked up in the edge of the tread on Subaru.... but maybe I should. They should be clearing the road for me. ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts