·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake Hose Swelling
Recall Code: WUR031

October 17, 2019

Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to replace brake hoses that may swell due to fluid which can squeeze in between the hose’s inner and outer layers. The condition presents itself as a noticeable swelling of the hose rubber near the fittings. However, the change in appearance does not affect the performance of the braking system.
Safety Risk
This is not safety related
Remedy
Subaru retailers will replace all four (4) brake hoses with the updated parts at no charge to the customer.

Found this halfway through another thread in then main babble section :
link to previous mention

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brake Hose Swelling
Recall Code: WUR031

October 17, 2019

Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to replace brake hoses that may swell due to fluid which can squeeze in between the hose’s inner and outer layers. The condition presents itself as a noticeable swelling of the hose rubber near the fittings. However, the change in appearance does not affect the performance of the braking system.
Safety Risk
This is not safety related
Remedy
Subaru retailers will replace all four (4) brake hoses with the updated parts at no charge to the customer.

Found this halfway through another thread in then main babble section :
link to previous mention
OBOY! can't wait for my appointment to get here (Jan. 6 2020) so I can sit and wait for something to get fixed that has been around for 50 + years. Sure wish I had gone with the Jeep!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Why? Jeeps don't have brake hoses?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm actually looking forward to the brake line recall. Getting new brake lines and a fluid flush & bleed is ok with me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
According my dealer who just completed the recall, it is not a full flush and bleed. They say a minimal amount of fluid is lost and they only top off and bleed enough to replace what was lost.

But they were nice enough to offer me a full flush and fluid replacement for a service charge.

Please let me know if you get a different result/answer from your dealer. I have some concerns about the one I have been working with.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mine goes in Thursday. I'll report back what they do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have decided to not have this service performed.

I generally never take my car to a shop to have work performed that I can do myself. I am pretty OCD with stuff and when I work on my car I take the time to do right. I have little faith in shop guys to take the extra time. For instance, we took our Tribeca in for the Takata airbag recall and they replaced the passenger airbag. A few months later, I changed the cabin air filter only to discover missing trim bolts that were removed and lost during the service. They also got dirty finger marks on the glove box and left them.

Back to the Impreza, I painted my calipers when I put the aftermarket wheels on and the last thing I want is the shop guys getting brake fluid all over them and eating the paint off, or stripping or over torquing brake line bolts.

Since this isn't a safety recall, I'm going to keep an eye on them and replace them myself if they show signs of swelling. I might even upgrade to stainless lines when they become available (currently there aren't any that I've found)

I am taking the car in to get the ECU reprogramming done, and I'm going back and forth about replacing the the PCV valve myself, or having them do it. Since that one is a NHTSA recall, I'm inclined to let them do it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
OBOY! can't wait for my appointment to get here (Jan. 6 2020) so I can sit and wait for something to get fixed that has been around for 50 + years. Sure wish I had gone with the Jeep!
Jeeps have had more than their fair share of recalls and service letters.

Every brand has its quirks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can understand how this is not (yet) a safety recall if there have been no instances of brake line rupture or accidents. That said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this not being a potential safety issue. The swelling would seem to indicate increased volume in the hydraulics which would decrease the pressure applied to the calipers and thus a decrease in braking, potentially even to the rupture of the line and pressure drop to zero. Probably overthinking but that's where my head is at on this one.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I can understand how this is not (yet) a safety recall if there have been no instances of brake line rupture or accidents. That said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this not being a potential safety issue. The swelling would seem to indicate increased volume in the hydraulics which would decrease the pressure applied to the calipers and thus a decrease in braking, potentially even to the rupture of the line and pressure drop to zero. Probably overthinking but that's where my head is at on this one.
My vote is overthinking. :)

Untold numbers of vehicles have slight brake fluid seepage without brake failure. The only time there is a LOSS of braking is when the line actually opens... like a rust hole in a steel line. Brake hoses themselves are extremely reliable... more so than aftermarket lines. A little seepage into the hose's layered interior may swell it, but it won't make the brakes fail.

FWIW, the major problems with leaking hydraulic lines is not failure of the system... it's the environmental and personal impacts of the leaked fluid, like slippery surfaces or skin burns, etc. Hydraulic systems often leak, and require inspection and maintenance to combat it. The Subaru recall is such a preemptive measure... only they aren't LEAKING, they're seeping into the layered fabric of the hose itself.

The recall is a very good thing as it shows Subaru is working overtime to prevent any possibility your vehicle will have a failure, in the near term or in the future. They have your back these days, which I'm personally grateful for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I received the letter for this recall a couple days ago so decided to get it done along with the ECU and PCV recalls. Just better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My brake hose replacement was just completed. They did a bleed and fluid top off, not a flush and bleed. Oh well, still got new hoses and a bleed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Had all three recalls done today and saved me some money:D

1. Brake line change and got a free flush with DOT4 that I was planning to do anyway now that more than 2 years has passed
2. ECU reprogram to resolve the coil issue
3. PCV valve to replace the plastic one

·
Registered
335 Posts
Had all three recalls done today and saved me some money:D

1. Brake line change and got a free flush with DOT4 that I was planning to do anyway now that more than 2 years has passed
2. ECU reprogram to resolve the coil issue
3. PCV valve to replace the plastic one
You forgot the updated software for the head-unit. (entertainment system) I still have the recall-notice for this one too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm going to wait as long as I can on this one. If it does not affect anything safety, why not get fresh new hoses when the current ones get nasty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts