5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on moving my current 'round bar' Yakima rack over to a new Impreza wagon. I will either order my new car without the stock 'rails', or just remove them. From what I understand, both Thule and Yakima offer towers which fit in that groove on the roof? I also believe that Yakima makes mounts for round bars to fit on these towers, and maybe Thule does as well? Or is that just from an outside vendor? I have far too many things which fit my round bars to consider starting over with newer Thule aero bars.

Does anybody have experience with such a setup? If so, let me know what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Two years ago I ordered these "feet" from Amazon. Yakima Railgrab to grab my 17 Premium Impreza hatch roof rails (good marketing here - name the things what they are) and let me use my old Yakima round bars. Good fit and come with a number of different little feet for a fit to other cars with rails. They go on and off quickly enough with an electric screwdriver and grip like you could lift the car with em. Lots of fore and aft potential to fit your cargo basket or whatever.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the standard Yakima round bars on my 2017 Sport. I believe the Sport and Base models have no rails, just mounting holes. I use the Yakima Control Towers with Landing Pad 11. On Yakima’s fit look up they will suggest the Skyline Towers, which are basically the updated models since the Control Towers are discontinued. For some reason they don’t mention Control Towers as an option but they do in fact fit. Attached is a pic with them and a Kuat Vagabond basket.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the standard Yakima round bars on my 2017 Sport. I believe the Sport and Base models have no rails, just mounting holes. I use the Yakima Control Towers with Landing Pad 11. On Yakima’s fit look up they will suggest the Skyline Towers, which are basically the updated models since the Control Towers are discontinued. For some reason they don’t mention Control Towers as an option but they do in fact fit. Attached is a pic with them and a Kuat Vagabond basket.
Thank you-this is exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently rocking the Yakima aero rack 60 inch . Gives the wide body a nice look !! Also bought some kayak J cradle off amazon . That work perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have this Yakima carrier (here is what I have https://www.subarupartspros.com/sku/e361sxa201.html) for 4 years now and in my case had a little problem installing it but read the instructions carefully and it's done! Comparing it to Thule, in my opinion, they both offer the same quality and both are long-lasting. I think it just boils down to which is cheaper. Not sure if it will last until this year. I am planning on replacing it for a sturdier rack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 17 4dr Sport with no roof rails. I bought the Yakima towers to do a Yak system for carrying my bikes. I had the towers on the roof for about two weeks and the paint under them was turning yellow already I assume from the oil in the rubber. I removed them and buffed out the area and its back to white. Probably 3M film or a dark color car would prevent that or not be seen. The Yak towers only used one of the two holes in the roof to attach which I didnt think much of one way or the other.

I then began a conversation with https://ssdsubaru.blogspot.com about roof rails for the 4dr because they did Foresters and Crosstreks. Shortly after that with measurements between the two of us they fabbed up Impreza roof rails. The things I liked most about them, they are black powder coated stainless, they follow the curve of the roof looking more custom in the process AND use both holes at each of the four mounting corners, and DONT tough my paint/roof anywhere. I then purchased the Yak towers for custom applications and installed Yak Aero bars. It is a VERY solid mount.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 17 4dr Sport with no roof rails. I bought the Yakima towers to do a Yak system for carrying my bikes. I had the towers on the roof for about two weeks and the paint under them was turning yellow already I assume from the oil in the rubber. I removed them and buffed out the area and its back to white. Probably 3M film or a dark color car would prevent that or not be seen. The Yak towers only used one of the two holes in the roof to attach which I didnt think much of one way or the other.

I then began a conversation with https://ssdsubaru.blogspot.com about roof rails for the 4dr because they did Foresters and Crosstreks. Shortly after that with measurements between the two of us they fabbed up Impreza roof rails. The things I liked most about them, they are black powder coated stainless, they follow the curve of the roof looking more custom in the process AND use both holes at each of the four mounting corners, and DONT tough my paint/roof anywhere. I then purchased the Yak towers for custom applications and installed Yak Aero bars. It is a VERY solid mount.

Bob
15756911885938675144640223044524.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts