5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw this thread, went out to check mine and there was rust. I called the local Subaru dealer yesterday and they got me in today to look at it. They ordered my parts (for free!) and I am having them installed next Wed. They will also pay up to $5 for spray paint for when you sand/paint it to fix it. Definitely impressed with the dealership I've went to twice now.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport Sedan CVT
1 Posts
Have a 19 impreza sport cvt. Have the larger caps but still has liquid and is very rusty but only on the passenger side. Took it to dealer and they said it was "normal" and did nothing about it. I also have knocking and clunking coming from the passenger side. By normal i guess they meant yeah its a very common problem. Any thoughts? Should I get them to replace anything from the strut?

·
Registered
122 Posts
For help to anyone with the larger caps installed... I have a 17 5spd that developed some lite rust under the orig caps. Cleaned, rust prevention sprayed and big caps... Fast forward a few weeks and the water was back.

Root of the story: Some chemicals react and make rubber swell. If you still have water beneath your caps, try a different chemical or try none. My caps looked like accordions... After re cleaning and boiling the caps they were fine and rust didn't return *yet

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted on this issue yesterday and then I started thinking. In my work we buy lots of stainless and carbon steel pipe of various diameters to be used on large industrial projects, it often comes from the factory (seems all pipe comes from China these days) fitted with plastic end caps made of a nylon type plastic which is tough but has a degree of flexibility., I've seen lots of different designs come with the pipe. These caps get thrown in the bin after the pipe gets cut and welded. I might try if I can press fit one of these if I can find the right diameter into the recess preventing water from entering, Here's what I mean Pvc Pipe Fitting End Cap,Pipe Fitting End Caps,Pipe Fitting Plug - Buy Pvc Pipe Fitting End Cap,Pipe Fitting End Caps,Pipe Fitting Plug Product on Alibaba.com

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
50 Posts
F***! Base 2018 purchased Dec 2017 here, small caps and sure enough they're full of water. :/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Omg I came way late to find this! I noticed creaking and see what I find under the dust cap?? I just emailed service to see what can be done. Hoping no permanent damage to the main frame!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
50 Posts
Brought TSB 05-62-18 to dealer with me when I had my tires and oil done, and they cleaned the rust and put anti rust material in. They are talking with SOA to see if they'll get me the new caps. No charge so far which is nice.

Hoping SOA approves, I will try to push the dealer to cover the costs even if SOA doesn't because it is a defective part. If not I'll buy the damn caps myself and put them on.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
I realize that manufacturers are not obligated to notify customers unless mandated by law....

I believe it is left to the Dealerships to INSPECT every vehicle that comes thru their shop using the list of TSBs to guide them.

Sadly, there is no legal obligation for this to happen. Some dealerships are better than others in this respect. It costs them money to take time to perform this task.

Personally, I consider a dealership's MAINTENANCE practices when buying a car. When I think about it, the SHOP side of the dealership is more important to me than just getting the lowest price.

The mom-n-pop shop I go to actually prints out list of pending recalls... then tells me to take that list to the Subaru dealership. I consider this a valuable service which helps me... and I will be back at that mom-n-pop shop to buy tires soon. Everybody wins!

261 - 270 of 270 Posts