5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here a is pic of my strut caps on 2017 Impreza premium. Took this pic when I installed lift spacers. Are these the faulty caps or the correct ones? Will pull them off tonight and look for water.
My 17 imp had the same cap with water added no rust
The new much wider no water under cap
Was out in heavy rain car sitting outside most of the day no water

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ha!! That bolt was removed. The picture I posted was from an installation of lift spacers on the struts. The company I ordered them from sent me the wrong bolts. :grin2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ha!! That bolt was removed. The picture I posted was from an installation of lift spacers on the struts. The company I ordered them from sent me the wrong bolts. :grin2:
How much lift did you add? I just bottomed at a speed bump in Trader Joe's parking lot. That was enough. Perhaps even 1/2" or 3/4" lift would prevent that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car was due for inspection so I also asked for the strut tower fix and I had the same experience as everyone else. Service writer didn't believe me about a recall for rusty strut towers, told me unless I got a letter from Subaru that nothing applied to me. Thankfully I brought my tablet computer to use in the waiting room and was able to look up this thread and show her the TSB number from all the earlier posts. She still didnt believe me but went to ask the service manager. He agreed to check it out...... and came back and told me it was news to him, yes it applied to me, and he would order the parts. Even gave me a copy of the first page of the TSB (attached). What a nice guy. Hope the image is legible to you all.....

In fairness, what owner is gonna look under those caps unless he reads this forum ??!! And apparently, a TSB is different from a recall, you have to complain and ask for it. So I have to go back if and when he gets the parts.

Based on this experience I would tell everyone to just mailorder the new caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
MOD's if this is the main thread for the FRONT STRUT MOUNT RUST - WATER ACCUMULATION could you retitle the thread to that effect? I knew this was out there and searched a long time to find the original topic. Have others taken their car in for this issue? I've tried with the caps on and off and under both conditions the strut area quickly fills up with water. A lot of water! Lots of rust for a car just turning 12 months old. We took the car in for an oil change and asked them to fix this problem too. They told my wife "not to worry about it." No repair. I just printed out the service bulletin but I'm wondering what others are finding. I'm taking it back in armed with the service bulletin. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also had issues getting the dealer to make this "repair". Eventually went in with the printed TSB, pictures of the differences in covers (the smaller on vs the larger one) and a picture of the orange rust underneath. They took it back in to evaluate, 10 min later they came back to tell me they were ordering new strut mounts to replace the rusted ones and new larger covers would be installed. Also got an alignment out of it as well since it is required for the strut reassembly repair.
Stick on them about it, politely, but firm and with all the supporting evidence. In my particular case, if they put the $7 new covers on the first time I brought it up (before the rust really even started), it would have saved them more than when I came back with rusted mounts

And a call to SOA is always an option if they are not willing to work with you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I just did the same thing. I took my car in with the printed copy of the TSB. This is the third time I've complained. They claimed the fix was not to order those parts. They dried the pocket out, cleaned the rust off, painted the pocket and then applied some sort of sealant. I don't know if that is a new "approved" method or they just improvised? I'll check it in 2 months and see if it is fixed.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
i also have this problem on both strut plates.
i was thinking of using a rust preventative like undercoating this area and maybe covering them with plastic and a rubber band.
going to dealer tomorrow to what bs they are going to give me.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well, I just did the same thing. I took my car in with the printed copy of the TSB. This is the third time I've complained. They claimed the fix was not to order those parts. They dried the pocket out, cleaned the rust off, painted the pocket and then applied some sort of sealant. I don't know if that is a new "approved" method or they just improvised? I'll check it in 2 months and see if it is fixed.
The parts are cheap so just order them yourself or go to a different dealer...the TSB say to do all that AND REPLACE the covers!

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
This is the redesign of the plug, this is what mine look like. They seem to cover the whole top area now, I looked for a part number on the part but did not see one.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch 5spd
28 Posts
I noticed a popping/clicking sound that’s only getting worse and can also be felt in the steering wheel. Looked around and found both of my top hats are rusted and one with corrosion. Getting to the dealer next week to see what they say and do! 2019 Impreza sport hatch 5spd

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch 5spd
28 Posts
This is the redesign of the plug, this is what mine look like. They seem to cover the whole top area now, I looked for a part number on the part but did not see one.

View attachment 23493 View attachment 23494
I think he was just helping with possible solutions, and I agree with you. My car is still under warranty. BUT when I took it in, the dealer was like, “Woah we’ve never seen anything like it before. We could boom you down to have it looked at” ehich they wanted to charge me still for anything including hours, parts, and replacements. I told them to let me look at the newest and freshest impreza on their lot and sure enough, the latest 2018’s have a larger strut cover and issue fixed.
issue is not fixed unfortunately. I have a bearing that failed and led me to find the top hats filled with rust and some corrosion.
2019 sport hatch

·
Registered
40 Posts
issue is not fixed unfortunately. I have a bearing that failed and led me to find the top hats filled with rust and some corrosion.
2019 sport hatch
I’m genuinely wondering why yours looks like that. Mine is a 2019 car I bought in Nov 2018 (build date 10/2018) and mine do not look anything like that. I live in North Idaho where we get proper winters and mine look like new. I’ve even checked under the caps after a car wash or being caught in rain and I always find bone dry. I wonder if your caps aren’t somehow defective perhaps?

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch 5spd
28 Posts
Ya I would like to know why as well. I as well got mine Nov 2018, TX and relocated to NY. I would have never know had I not have heard suspension noise and now noise every time I turn the wheel it can be heard and felt.... stay tuned.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch 5spd
28 Posts
I’m genuinely wondering why yours looks like that. Mine is a 2019 car I bought in Nov 2018 (build date 10/2018) and mine do not look anything like that. I live in North Idaho where we get proper winters and mine look like new. I’ve even checked under the caps after a car wash or being caught in rain and I always find bone dry. I wonder if your caps aren’t somehow defective perhaps? View attachment 23887 View attachment 23888
Also I’m a Aug/18 production. 🤷‍♀️

241 - 258 of 258 Posts