5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
It seems like there is something with the timing chain tensioner that might be causing this issue.
Many folks applauded when Subaru switched from timing-belt to timing-chain. It seems they beleived that a chain lasts the life of the vehicle. The REALITY is that those plastic guides/tensioners get brittle and can be a problem.

At least with timing-belt, ALL the moving parts get changed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
402 Posts
Great video demonstrating the noise

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
217 Posts
I have been noticing this off and on for a while and decided to try a tank of 93. It solved the issue so I'm going to try 89 next. If that keeps the pinging down I'll probably just stick with that.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
179 Posts
I'll have to check my daughter's 2020. She just passed 20k miles (yep, she's had it less than a year. no school, no job, but she sure does drive!). She usually gets gas at Meijers. I know GetGo (another supermarket) gas is crap around us. I only get Shell 93 since my car requires it (well, it requires 91 but no one around sells 91).

I'll take her car to work tonight and see if I hear it. I do toss in a can of Techron in our cars every other month (probably overkill). There's usually a buy one get one sale. I just bought two yesterday at Advanced Auto for $10 when I went to clean them out of $0.95 Lucas Gun Oil and $1.15 Lucas Extreme Gun Oil. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
149 Posts
I'm at my wits ends with this issue. I've been to 5 dealerships. Ran all kinds of tests, cleaning engine carbon, services, etc. Nothing seems to fix this. Only temporary band aid is using higher octane like others suggested.

I seriously need some guidance or advice from you guys. This my first car. I dont have a garage to work on anything and all I can really do is oil changes and small things like that.

This problem started happening around 20 to 30,000 km on my car which I bought brand new. Latest thing done was a cleanup of carbon buildup in my engine. The dealership took car for a couple days and ran all lind of tests and sent freeze frame data to subaru to figure out we should do the clean up. I doubt they found the sound as it's so random and can happen very irregularly.

Is this someone I should be concerned about damaging my engine long term? Or do I need to just live with the noise because it's basically a design flaw?

I'm seriously depressed and feel like crap, I have 3 years left to pay off this car and this issue is making me very worried.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm at my wits ends with this issue. I've been to 5 dealerships. Ran all kinds of tests, cleaning engine carbon, services, etc. Nothing seems to fix this. Only temporary band aid is using higher octane like others suggested.

I seriously need some guidance or advice from you guys. This my first car. I dont have a garage to work on anything and all I can really do is oil changes and small things like that.

This problem started happening around 20 to 30,000 km on my car which I bought brand new. Latest thing done was a cleanup of carbon buildup in my engine. The dealership took car for a couple days and ran all lind of tests and sent freeze frame data to subaru to figure out we should do the clean up. I doubt they found the sound as it's so random and can happen very irregularly.

Is this someone I should be concerned about damaging my engine long term? Or do I need to just live with the noise because it's basically a design flaw?

I'm seriously depressed and feel like crap, I have 3 years left to pay off this car and this issue is making me very worried.
I'm livid about it, too. I called and emailed subaru customer advocacy about it a few days ago. I don't care if they have to replace the engine at this point, its getting fixed or I'm taking them to small claims court for $10,000 for false advertising as it is clearly not meant to run on 87 octane and for not honoring their warranty.

I've went through extensive work to resolve this issue. My oil changes have surpassed all specifications. My fuel is always top tier. I've used a number of techron and berryman treatments. I've seafoamed my intake multiple times. All for the dealer to tell me they can't reproduce something I hear within 1 minute of leaving my driveway every day. Once I run this tank dry I'm going in for the fuel pump recall and negotiations come to an end if they do not fix this rattle. There will be $10,000 in my pocket and I'll keep the car.

Reactions: BlackieChan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Following multiple ordeals worthy of their own discussions that I will not pollute the thread with I've finally made progress on this matter. You may read the attached image for specifics. In short, subaru engine cleaner was applied multiple times in accordance with 09-74-21R alongside oil/filter changes until "roughness" was below a "tolerable" threshold.

The end result is that a spot where I can no longer consistently reproduce the sounds, though it still occurs.

I checked the manual: https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1901A_STIS.pdf pg 276

Do not be concerned if your vehicle sometimes knock slightly when you drive up a hill or when you accelerate. Contact your SUBARU dealer if you use a fuel with the specified octane rating and your vehicle knocks heavily or persistently.
Anyway, here's what it said:

Font Paper Screenshot Paper product Monochrome

TSB states: If a fourth attempt is required and the result is still unsuccessful, CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL AGAIN (no filter change) and follow the SOA Escalation Process for additional support.

Work performed states that it took 5 attempts to bring the roughness to 34, and I still have pinging.

Albeit, the pinging is relieved and I had it on the initial drive home but significantly quieter but then I tried to reproduce it twice more and couldn't.

Reactions: chowser51
41 - 47 of 47 Posts