5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought the same until I drove Subaru's new CVT. It's not what you think it is. It also gets noticeably better gas mileage than the manual and the paddles are fun to play with.

I agree with Senor Gar, the CVT is not bad at all. Really wanted a manual, but for some reason, you can't get items like a sunroof with the manual transmission. So I too went with the CVT. Took some getting used to, but I'm quite happy with it now. But the paddle shifters? A gimmick one can pass on!

I too own a Miata, a 1993 like the original poster. Best shifting car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
True, but in the fake world they are both tested under the same drive cycle and the CVT is noticeably more efecient. Just ask my wife :x.
These new CVT autos with seven computer controlled ratios finally feel like a normal automatic and have normal engine sounds. Even my wife likes it and she was insisting on a manual :surprise:. The manual makes sense to me only in a rural setting but not in the big smoke :|

From the Suspension Swap? thread:
I've always found the idea that the CVT should act like an old automatic to be counter intuitive to the design of the CVT itself. It's unfortunate that the true efficiency of the CVT design needs to be lost to the consumers who insist their car Rev like any other vehicle.

Just my two cents about cvts. Even if the auto version gets better gas mileage, I won't be turning back to auto anytime soon since getting my 2018 in a stick.

Adding, however, that if I were to go back to myself 6 months ago, I too might of had my old self buy a WRX in a 6MT, VS the Impreza in an auto. This car, although fun as a manual, doesn't really feel as sport even in the sport model, as their now newer brother, WRX. It's ashamed tbh.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I liked the 5 spd, added the Subaru short throw shifter linkage, liked it even more, then got a tune that eliminates the rev hang and now I love the 5 spd.
I'd love to get the tune that kills rev hang and improves performance a bit, but my wife would kill me if I spent $580 to do so. :|

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I guess I'll just have to drive one. I definitely will not add a tuner if it voids any part of the warranty, so I either live with it in stock form or don't buy it. Also looking at a Forester with a 6-spd or a Civic hatchback. It might be sacrilege to mention Civic on a Subaru site, but it's hard to ignore a nice looking car that does 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds and still gets 40 MPG. No AWD, but the gearbox got great reviews.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'd love to get the tune that kills rev hang and improves performance a bit, but my wife would kill me if I spent $580 to do so. :|
The $100 for the software to load it to the car and the $180 for the Openport 2 OBDII adapter to connect the car to your laptop are the parts of that $580 that are outside of Rallisport's control. Only the $300 for the tune goes to him. Sometimes the Openport 2 can be found used for less than $180. If considering ever doing a tune for the car, I would suggest keeping on the lookout for a deal on an Openport 2. I think they probably hold their value pretty well since they are used with many cars, and it's good to already have one before getting the software (do that 2nd) and then buying the tune because there's some car ID info needed to activate the software and to be incorporated into the tune.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Whether or not you like the CVT the fact remains that they keep the engine in the most optimum power band and can shift faster and are propel cars faster than manual transmissions. That is why many exotic car companies are going ONLY with these "automatic" systems. In just about every car magazine article these days the writer will first whine about the loss of a manual and then state that the cars with automatics are faster it is just a fact.

Is it more fun to shift? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Whether or not you like the CVT the fact remains that they keep the engine in the most optimum power band and can shift faster and are propel cars faster than manual transmissions. That is why many exotic car companies are going ONLY with these "automatic" systems. In just about every car magazine article these days the writer will first whine about the loss of a manual and then state that the cars with automatics are faster it is just a fact.

Cvts don't actually shift. But I agree you.

·
Registered
811 Posts

The point of this thread isn't whether CJ likes CVTs. Yes more Americans like various flavors of automatics than they do manual transmissions as seen in car sales volumes for each type, and there are those with automatics that will spout off their "virtues". And performance car compaies are putting automatics in those cars. But for those that prefer manual transmissions, we still get to discuss why we like them in the Impreza and what we might do to enjoy driving with them even more. If you don't get that, that's ok too. But this thread really isn't supposed to be a NoSlushbox4Me's opinions vs. CJ's "well known facts" thread. Don't worry, the 3 years will go by fast enough and you can pay me that $1 then.:grin2: Just have a little patience until then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

I will most certainly agree that a manual transmission can really suck sometimes. I drove my Miata in a parade once. A good roadster clutch is hard to beat until you have to drive at 0.5 MPH or commute in stop-and-go traffic.

I haven't really looked into exotic cars in a long time, but I am shocked if they are starting to employ CVT's. However, since I don't live in the top 1% of income earners, I pay more attention to the technology of cars in the sub $25k range. I have yet to see any car magazine suggest that the CVT variant of any car performs better than one with a manual transmission. In fact, my recent research suggests the opposite, with Motor Trend and Car & Driver saying that the manual would be slightly faster. It's true that CVT's keep engine speeds at the perfect torque level for optimum MPG. That's why they perform so well at an EPA standstill test. However, how much efficiency is lost due to the friction of a belt drive system vs a set of well-lubed gears?

Back to the original subject. I started looking more into the new Honda Civic. Guess what the two biggest manual transmission complaints are? They're notchy, and everyone hates the rev hang. So much for the great magazine reviews. Guys on the Honda forums are doing the same thing as Subaru guys, installing a tuner and a weighted shift knob.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is NOTHING wrong with the 5 speed with the STI short shifter on the Impreza Sport!

Feels a little notchy, about it. Works fine...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess I’ll add my 2 cents here since I just drove my son’s 2019 Sport with the 5 speed. I’ve been driving nothing but manuals since the mid-70’s (a BMW, lots of VWs, a couple of Honda’s and a Mazda 3). The shift quality is on par with most other “cable actuated” mechanism (as opposed to a solid linkage) that are on most manuals these days. The exception was probably my 2011 Honda Fit, which is the best cable actuated manual I’ve driven. Since I mostly do highway driving I went with the CVT since the revs are 700 - 800 rpm lower at highway speeds making for a more relaxed drive. During the spring, summer and fall I drive my Miata, which by far has a better feel than any cable shifter can match.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe that cable operated lever is for the CVT car? I installed the short throw shifter linkage on my base model and didn't come across anything like that with cables.

https://www.impreza5.com/forum/10-e...-throw-shifter-installation-instructions.html
Well, the parts sheet says “manual” right on it and says it’s for a 2018 Impreza. But obviously from your pictures the Subaru diagram is suspect, so I guess I stand corrected, I was just going by what “Subaru Parts” indicated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was going to say, my definitely is not cable. The gears would be much softer if they were cable. I've driven so many Honda Civics, though I imagine it may be harder to spot on newer cars.

But the new Impreza manuals are 100% direct connect. No cables.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts