5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift

Registered
We have a bet sir!
CJ,

I want my dollar! 馃ぃ

There are multiple 2022 Subarus with manual transmission available. Just because you bought a CX-5 and left the forum doesn't mean you don't still owe me a dollar. Time to pay up! 馃榿

Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Hatchback 5-speed
While I do not consider myself an expert on manual trannys, by any means, I have owned dozens of them from many different brands over 35 years of driving and I am not a fan of Subaru manuals. They are among the worst in the industry, in my opinion. I just purchased a preowned 2017 Impreza Sport 5 speed and I previously owned a current gen WRX with the 6 speed short shifter and I am not fond of either one. The first issue with the Sport 5 speed is the annoying rev hang. I've had rev hang in Honda Civics before, but nowhere near as bad as this Sport, it hangs for a full 2 seconds. The overall notchiness and sloppiness of Subaru manuals makes them somewhat annoying to drive. I'd rate this 5 speed a 6/10, it's bad. However, the WRX's 6 speed was an 8/10, although still far more finicky than other Japanese brands, particularly from launch to 3rd. Subarus are difficult manuals to get used to because they operate so differently than anything else out there. I've owned Handa, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, GM and VW manuals as well and they were all much nicer to drive than either Subaru manual...Honda and Mazda are the best, in my opinion. The 6 speed in my 2021 MX-5 GT is sublime, among the best I've ever owned, and my 2009 Civic Si was even better still.

All of that said, I am more than willing to put up with Subaru's annoying manuals in order to avoid the CVT and to get that amazing AWD system...and you do eventually adapt to the quirks, although the learning curve can be steep. As annoying as Subaru manuals are, I have no regrets about owning 2 of them. It's a relatively small annoyance considering the Sport is an overall comfortable vehicle that feels planted on the road, and is an excellent daily driver for the harsh winters where I live.

Registered
Driving 2017 Impreza sport 5MT鈥 love it !!!!!! Absolutely nothing wrong with the gear box and rev whatever 鈥 every gear box needs being getting to know - Subaru no exception :) The car comes alive and sounds great only because of the MT; Try the older european gear boxes - now there can be a learning curve too ( not a bad one - just there is one too )

61 - 64 of 64 Posts